Monday, February 9, 2009

...Being Wrong

I tell my students that wrong answers are just as good as right ones. Mostly, this was the humanist in me wanting to be sure that I was encouraging them to participate in class. Recently, however, I've begun to believe this sentiment on an academic level as well.

When students are wrong, and are corrected, they've learned two things- the right answer and a wrong one. Being wrong, and knowing you are wrong, certainly helps develop critical thinking and problem solving skills. When we are in new situations and have new problems to solve, it is essential that we are able to identify incorrect ways of handling the situation or solving the problem.

The question is then, how do I get my students to realize this and utilize it to their greatest potential?

No comments:

Post a Comment